BIG LEAGUE DIVISION
Official Rules of Play
Click here to Download Rules
Rules as shown in the Babe Ruth League Rule book are in effect except as listed in the following rules. The Rules can only be changed with approval of the MBSA Board of Directors. Manager/Coaches cannot change the rules under any circumstance.
Only managers and coaches approved by the MBSA may supervise the players in games and practices. While parents may assist, there must be an approved manager or coach in-charge.
All Managers and Coaches MUST wear their Manalapan Township volunteer badge and abide by the “Manalapan Parks and Recreation Volunteer Code of Conduct” and have read and agree to the “Manalapan Parks and Recreation Background Check Policy”. Managers are responsible for the acts of their coaches and parents.
Games and practice dates/times can only be scheduled or rescheduled by the league Commissioners. All incidents should be reported immediately.
If the Managers cannot resolve an issue during a game, they must contact the commissioner OR Associate Commissioner immediately.
1. Any manger, coach or player ejected from a game must sit the next game a second ejection will result in a three game suspension and the MBSA board hearing.
2. There are no protest all decisions made by the umpire on the field are final.
3. All players must adhere to and wear designated MBSA uniform attire or they cannot take the field.
a. Players must wear an athletic supporter/cup, metal cleats are allowed. Heart guards and safety glasses are recommended. It’s the parent’s sole responsibility to ensure their child is wearing all recommended safety gear. .
b. No jewelry can be worn.
c. Catchers must wear all equipment, no skullcaps are allowed.
d. Players are allowed to wear school jersey’s and pants (except for the team cap) if they are coming directly from a school game.
4. Each game will be 7 innings OR a 2.5 hour time limit. You cannot start a new inning after 2 hours and 15 minutes has elapsed. However you may complete an inning if it has already started and is now beyond the time limit.
a. If the game is tied after 7 innings the game may continue with time permitting based on the rule above.
b. If there is no game scheduled after your game you may complete the game or until the REC closes whichever comes first.
c. A game is official after 4.5 innings if the home team is winning; 5 innings if the visiting team is winning. This means if the game ends due to the time limit or darkness it is an official games.
d. If a doubleheader is played the first game must adhere to the standard time limit and games may end in a tie. Managers should take into account the MRC closing time of 11pm and not start a new inning unless a full inning can be completed by 10:45pm.
e. Mercy rule: 10 runs ahead after 4.5 innings if the home team is winning and 5 complete innings if the visiting team is winning.
5. Suspended games are games that end in a tie or end before they are official. Suspended games must be resumed from the point of suspension. Keep your book and batting orders for both teams not just yours.
6. You can start a game with 8 players and must finish a game with 8 players. If you start a game with 8 players and 1 player leaves you forfeit the game.
7. Pitch count rules can be found in the “MBSA Pitching Rule Supplement”. Specific division rules supersede the supplement.
a. Division Exception:
i. When the playoffs begin a pitcher may pitch 9 innings per week. The week starts at the first game of the playoffs.
ii. Pitching back to back games is not allowed.
iii. High School Player may pitch a maximum of 3 innings in any single game.
b. Big League Exception – If a double header is being played the pitcher closing the first game may start the second game as long as he does not exceed maximum innings allowed per week and maximum pitches per day.
8. A manager or coach may make two trips to any one pitcher. On the third trip that pitcher must be replaced. The pitcher can take any other position but may not pitch again in that game.
9. No warnings will be given for the first balk by a pitcher.
10. An attempt should be made to play all games even if the other team needs to lend players to play the field. Point of league is to play the games.
11. Teams may also borrow players from another team not playing that day. However, that player may not pitch and must bat at the bottom of the order.
12. Every Player must play at least 4 innings in the field (7 inning game). Except for the pitcher free substitution is in effect.
13. Intentional walks are permitted. The pitcher must pitch to complete the walk.
14. All players must hit in the lineup with free substitutions in the field.
15. A player injured or leaving the game will not be recorded as an out in the lineup.
16. A player arriving after the game starts will be inserted at the bottom of the order.
17. Any player that warms up a pitcher either before an inning or in between innings must wear a protective mask.
18. The Manager should put in a courtesy runner in for the catcher to keep the game moving. The runner must be the last batted out.
19. Sliding headfirst is allowed except for home plate. If a runner slides headfirst into home plate he will be called out.
20. No barreling by a runner or fielder is allowed. A warning will be given the first time. 2 occurrences by the same player during the same game will result in the player being ejected for the remainder of the game. When the runner is the offender an automatic out will result. When the fielder is the offender the runner is safe.
21. The team on offense should have a 1st and 3rd base coach. The manager may appoint a third coach to manage the bench.
22. No shorts are allowed during a game, only uniform pants are allowed.
23. Home team shall always use the first base dugout.
24. Batters, base runners and player base coaches MUST wear helmets.
25. Players must wear an athletic supporter/cup. Metal cleats are allowed.
26. Any player charging the mound will be ejected from the game.
12-15 Team Jerseys
12-15 Team Caps
3 Coach Caps
1 First Aid Kit
8 Ice Packs
1 Score Book
2 dozen practice balls
2 dozen game balls