10-12 Majors Division
Official Rules of Play
Click Here to Download Rules
The Rules can only be changed with approval of the MBSA Board of Directors. Manager/Coaches cannot change the rules under any circumstance.
Only managers and coaches approved by the MBSA may supervise the players in games and practices. While parents may assist, there must be an approved manager or coach in-charge.
All Managers and Coaches MUST wear their Manalapan Township volunteer badge and abide by the “Manalapan Parks and Recreation Volunteer Code of Conduct” and have read and agree to the “Manalapan Parks and Recreation Background Check Policy”. Managers are responsible for the acts of their coaches and parents.
Games and practice dates/times can only be scheduled or rescheduled by the league Commissioners. All incidents should be reported immediately.
If the Managers cannot resolve an issue during a game, they must contact the commissioner OR Associate Commissioner immediately.
1. Any manger, coach or player ejected from a game must sit the next game a second ejection will result in a three game suspension and the MBSA board hearing.
2. Protests for rule infraction must be in writing and given to the commissioner. The Umpire must sign the book on all protests.
3. All players must adhere to and wear designated MBSA uniform attire or they cannot take the field.
a. Players must wear an athletic supporter/cup and plastic cleats; metal cleats are prohibited. Heart guards and safety glasses are recommended. It’s the parent’s sole responsibility to ensure their child is wearing all recommended safety gear. .
b. No jewelry can be worn.
c. Catchers must wear all equipment, no skullcaps are allowed.
d. Players are allowed to wear school jersey’s and pants (except for the team cap) if they are coming directly from a school game.
4. All players are required to attend all practices. If a player does not attend practice and has not informed the Manager (Coach) with a justifiable reason, the Manager has the right to “BENCH” the player for the next game. The League Coordinator must be notified within 48 hours of the completion of the game.
5. Each game will be 6 innings unless extra innings are required due to a tie
a. An official game is 4 innings (3.5 if the home team is winning)
b. Mercy rule: 12 runs ahead after 3.5 innings if the home team is winning and 5 complete innings if the visiting team is winning.
6. A game is official after 3.5 innings if the home team is winning; 4 innings if the visiting team is winning. If the 5th is started but not completed the game reverts to the prior inning.
Manalapan Baseball & Softball Association Official Rules - Updated April 2014
7. Suspended games are games that end in a tie or end before they are official. Suspended games must be resumed from the point of suspension. Keep your book and batting orders for both teams not just yours.
8. You can start a game with 8 players and must finish a game with 8 players. If you start a game with 8 players and 1 player leaves the game is suspended.
9. Every player must play 3 innings defensively with the exception of a game that ends due to the mercy rules. If a player does not play 3 innings defensively in a game, he will then play every inning defensively in the next game. Except for the pitcher free substitution is in effect.
10. All players must hit in the lineup with free substitutions in the field.
11. A player injured or leaving the game will not be recorded as an out in the lineup.
12. A player arriving after the game starts will be inserted at the bottom of the order.
13. Batters on the bench including on deck batters are NOT ALLOWED to take practice swings. The manager and coaches are required to make sure this doesn’t occur.
14. Pitch count rules can be found in the “MBSA Pitching Rule Supplement”. Specific division rules supersede the supplement.
a. Division Exception:
i. A maximum of three 12-year old pitchers may be used in a week
ii. When playoffs begin a pitcher can pitch a maximum of 9 innings per week. Pitch count and rest period rules still apply. The pitching week begins the first day of the playoffs.
15. Any player that warms up a pitcher either before an inning or in between innings must wear a protective mask.
a. When a new pitcher warms up there must another player to protect the catcher and the pitcher. That player must wear a helmet.
16. A manager or coach may make two trips to any one pitcher in any one inning. On the third trip that pitcher must be replaced. The pitcher can take any other position but may not pitch again in that game.
17. The batter is allowed try and advance to first base on a dropped third strike. Standard rules apply.
18. Intentional walks are permitted. The pitcher must pitch to complete the walk.
19. No balks will be called.
20. Infield fly rule and the sacrifice fly rule are in effect. (see Notes for infield fly rule)
21. With two outs a Manager should put in a courtesy runner in for the catcher to keep the game moving. The runner must be the last batted out.
Manalapan Baseball & Softball Association Official Rules - Updated April 2014
22. There is no bat throwing at any time. If a player throws a bat, there must be a warning given. After the warning, please notify the parent.
23. If there is going to be a play at a base (except going into first) the player MUST SLIDE.
24. Sliding headfirst is not allowed except for back to the base. If a runner slides headfirst he will be called out.
25. No barreling by a runner or fielder is allowed.
26. No Leads; the runner may steal after the ball passes the plate but cannot take a lead.
27. Slide or avoid on all plays at home plate.
28. Bunting is allowed
29. The team on offense should have a 1st and 3rd base coach. The manager may appoint a third coach to manage the bench. The manager has the option of allowing one player to coach a base. The player must wear a batting helmet when coaching a base.
30. Home team shall always use the first base dugout except for the Legion where the home team uses the third base dugout.
31. Only approved little league bats may be used (max barrel size 2.”). Any bats not meeting this specification must be removed from play immediately. A list of approved bats can be found on our website.
32. Batters, base runners and player base coaches MUST wear helmets.
33. Any player charging the mound will be ejected from the game.
34. Let parents know they need to get to the field 15-20 minutes prior to game time. All coaches and managers should be on time as well. As they get older, warm up period becomes more and more important.
a. Infield fly rule: The infield fly rule applies only when there are fewer than two outs, and there is a force play at third (runners on first and second base, or bases loaded). In these situations, if a fair fly ball is a hit that, in the umpire's judgment, is catchable by an infielder with ordinary effort, the batter is out regardless of whether the ball is actually caught in flight. The rule states that the umpire is supposed to announce, "Infield fly, if fair." If the ball will be almost certainly fair, the umpire will likely yell, "Infield fly, batter's out!" or just "Batter's out!" Umpires also typically raise one arm straight up to signal to everyone that the rule is in effect.
Any fair fly ball that could have been caught by an infielder with ordinary effort is covered by the rule regardless of where the ball is caught. The ball need not be caught by an infielder, nor must it be caught in the infield. For example, if an infielder retreats to the outfield in an effort to catch a fly ball with ordinary effort, the Infield Fly Rule would be invoked, even if an outfielder ultimately caught the ball, and even if no Manalapan Baseball & Softball Association Official Rules - Updated April 2014
infielder attempted to make a play on the ball. Similarly, a fly ball within the infield that could have been caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, but is caught by an outfielder, would also be covered by the rule.
On a caught infield fly, a runner must tag up (i.e., retouch, at or after the time the fly ball is first touched by a fielder, the base the runner held at the time of pitch) to be eligible to advance, as on any catch. If the infield fly falls to fair grounod untouched, or is touched and dropped, runners need not tag up. In either case, because the batter is out, the force play on other runners is removed.
36. Effective after the Spring 2015 Season: All players have to participate in 50% of their team's games in order to participate in the divisional playoffs. Rare exceptions due to the injuries or other unique circumstances will be considered on a case-by-case basis by the Vice President overseeing the affected division.
ï‚· 13 Team Jerseys
ï‚· 13 Team Caps
ï‚· 3 Coach Caps
ï‚· 1 First Aid Kit
ï‚· 8 Ice Packs
ï‚· 1 Score Book
ï‚· 2 dozen practice balls
ï‚· 2 dozen game balls
ï‚· 1 Equipment bag
o 2 batting helmets
o 1 caged batting helmet
o 1 catcher’s helmet
o 1 right-handed catcher’s glove
o 1 set of catcher’s equipment